Friday, November 21, 2008

Forever Lily by Beth Nonte Russell


This book tells us the story of the author’s journey to China to assist her friend, Alex, in adopting a child. Beth goes along for the adventure and to give moral support. Alex’s husband stays home with their son.

Beth takes the reader on a journey to China and introduces us to the world of international adoption. Everything is going smoothly until Alex has second thoughts about the adoption. After making the long trip out of the United States, Alex doesn’t think she wants the baby after all. However, Beth has quickly become attached to the child and can’t turn her back on the baby. She experiences dreams which show her she is supposed to have this baby.

After her husband agrees, Beth decides to adopt the baby herself. She’s devastated when her husband tells her that the law won’t allow it. Meanwhile, Alex continues to waiver back and forth about adopting the child herself. This makes Beth’s situation all the more critical. She vows to find a way for her and her husband to adopt this baby before she’s put back into the adoption system.

It took me some time to get into this story. I think the dream sequences bogged it down a bit. I didn’t find Alex particularly likeable or sympathetic. However, I found myself captivated by Beth’s plight and reading to see how she would accomplish this task ahead of her. It’s a well-written book which shows readers the heartache and pain, as well as the complete joy, of the adoption process.

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.