Sunday, August 1, 2010

Red Mist by Richard Taylor




Genre: Suspense, Thriller
Publisher: Smashwords, Inc.
Release date: June 2010-08-01

United States Military Intelligence Agent David Dengler is given the plum training assignment of surveillance of the famous actress Marilyn Monroe. Dengler is thrilled with his luck until he realizes he stumbled onto the murder of the beautiful actress. He attempts to stop it, but instead puts his own life in danger. He has no choice but to go on the run and he’s not quite sure who he is running from – the CIA?, the FBI?, the President of the United States? He has no time to investigate if he intends to stay alive.

Before he can figure any of it out, he finds himself in the middle of an assassination plot against JFK. Can the two tragedies be connected? Dengler intends to find out and save JFK, but he also realizes that chances are very good he won’t live to see the next day.

Set in the turbulent 1960’s, this book is truly captivating. It’s a fictionalized story using two very real events and some very real historical people. Lee Harvey Oswald, Robert F. Kennedy, Jack Ruby, Marilyn Monroe and J. Edgar Hoover all make realistic appearances throughout the book.

Readers will feel everything David Dengler is going through and hope he’ll be able to save the day, although we all knew there was only one way this book could possibly end. This is a clever and creative take on events that most Americans will never forget. We don’t know what exactly went on behind the deaths of Monroe (was it suicide or not?) and JFK (conspiracy or one man acting alone?), but this fictional account gives us something to think about.

I absolutely could not put this book down and I was thinking about it even when I wasn’t reading it – which says a lot for me. I’ve already started compiling a list of books by Richard Taylor which I plan to read. I can easily see Red Mist being made into a movie. Are you listening Hollywood?



I have to give this one my Socrates’ Great Book Alert Award as well.




For reading challenges:

A to Z Reading Challenge
Read Your Own Book Challenge

Check it out at:

Smashwords

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.