Monday, November 8, 2010

Musing Mondays - Readers' Spending On Books



If you'd like to play along on Musing Mondays, just click the button above to join in.


This week’s musing asks…

Today’s musing is a sort of “read and respond”…

A blog I frequent suggested I check out several articles of interest… one of them which happened to be this one: “Trendspotting: Readers’ Spending On Books“. So — being the avid reader & book junkie that I am — I couldn’t help but click over and read the short piece about readers’ current spending habits.

My questions for today are ones that are asked at the end of this particular article: What are your responses to this report? Does it match with what you –as a reader– have observed? With your own buying habits? When was the last time you bought a book? What did you buy and why?


My Response...

Interesting article...I seem to fit right in with the trends...I'm trendy! LOL

First, hardcovers...I don't particularly like them in the first place both because of price and they are too heavy to lug around. There had been only two authors that I bought in hardcover immediately - James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Although I still read those series, I don't bother with hardcovers anymore. I found I didn't actually read the books until they came out in paperback anyway.

I no longer buy print books, but that's because I've switched over to Ebooks. I get many of the Ebooks from the library, Barnes and Noble and other online Ebook outlets. I've mentioned before on my blog that I'm at B&N everyday but that's only because it's across the street from where I work. So, I go there to read my Nook. I still do like to browse the aisles, though.

As for the other point in the article about non-fiction books, I was never a non-fiction reader unless there was a memoir by someone I was interested in or a topic I wanted to read up on. These days I can get all the information I need by googling. I don't need to buy a non-fiction book, sad to say but that's how I feel these days.

So, what are your habits?

funny pictures-Wat u mean get off computer? I jus got on.
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

5 comments:

  1. I still have too many issues with e-books to be sold. Like the fact that I don't actually own anything but the right to download a file.
    I can not sell it or loan it (don't even mention the Nook's ridiculous one time/2 week policy) or give it away...and yet I am charged often as much as a paperback.
    After I buy their reader.
    No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an ereader*,and I still buy books of all sorts. I also rely on Google for getting all kinds of information.

    Love the photo!



    *Except for my computer and iPod

    ReplyDelete
  3. No ebooks for me before I get that reader, and hardbacks, a pain in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say my habits match yours only I never bought hardbacks--too expensive! I think I bought ONE Janet Evanovich in hardback, but then I started getting on the waiting list at the library nice and early.

    These days it's 99 percent ebooks. Love the instant download. Love the usually cheaper prices!!! Love the convenience!!!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm oldschool, I still dont have an e-reader!
    I only buy hardcovers if its favorite author or a series I love, like Harry Potter.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.