Saturday, January 7, 2012

Holiday Hideout by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jill Shalvis and Julie Kenner




Genre:
Romance

Publisher:
Harlequin

Release Date:
November 2011

Format:
EBook





This is a cute romance anthology written by three of Harlequin’s leading authors. All three stories are set in a “mystical”, Lake Tahoe cabin owned by college professors Ken and Jillian Vickers. The “mystical” part involves couples falling in love when they stay over. As part of their research, the Vickers are trying to prove that the cabin indeed brings romance to people’s lives. In order to do this, they rent out the cabin throughout the holiday season.

In the first story…

The Thanksgiving Fix by Vicki Lewis Thompson

Beth spends her Thanksgiving holiday in the cabin intending to be alone and getting away from everything and everyone. However, the Vickers arrange for their local handyman, Mac, to pay a house call for fear that the cabin has a leak. It’s not long before the sparks fly and Beth and Mac find their way into each other’s arms.

The Christmas Set-Up by Jill Shalvis

Zoe and Jason are both up for promotions at the same architect firm. They each must come up with a design that will win them the job, but with a little help from a matchmaking brother, a snow storm and a romantic cabin in Lake Tahoe, these two colleagues find much more than the perfect design. They find love.

The New Year's Deal by Julie Kenner

Cleo and Josh always planned to go to college and eventually marry, but when Josh’s father dies, his plans change. He refuses to leave his family or the family business. Cleo and Josh tearfully decide to break up. Five years later, they each remember a plan to reunite for New Year’s. What better place to reunite than a secluded cabin in Lake Tahoe. They rediscover their feelings for each other and wonder if they can give their relationship another try.

My thoughts…

I always enjoy the work of these three authors and these stories were good ones. However, anthologies can be tricky. Sometimes the length of the individual stories just isn’t long enough to develop a believable storyline. I loved the premise for all three stories, but they wrap things up too quickly which is the “nature of the beast” when it comes to anthologies. I would have liked to see more character and plot development.
Basically, I wish these were three full length books. That’s not a bad thing, it’s actually a good thing…I wanted more! This is a great anthology for the holidays though. It gives us a chance to celebrate all three holidays with three different couples. It’s a quick read.




FTC Disclosure: Netgalley provided me with a copy of this book to review. This did not influence my thoughts and opinions in any way. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog! I always love reading comments and getting to know my readers!

After some careful consideration, I've decided to become an award-free blog. Although I appreciate and am honored by each and every award I've received, your comments and friendship are enough award for me. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness.

Due to way too many spam comments, I disabled the Anonymous User comments. We'll see if this works, otherwise I'll have to go back to word verification.